The Learning Center, located in the library next to the computer lab, offers free tutoring in a variety of subjects on a drop-in basis. You do not need to make an appointment. Our staff is made up of peer, faculty, and staff tutors. The Learning Center promotes active and collaborative learning in a comfortable and supportive environment to help you get the most out of your learning experience at UW-BC. Our goal is to help you develop the learning strategies you need to reach your academic potential as you become an independent, lifelong learner. Tutoring is available in the following areas:
English + Writing
A writing tutor can help you:
- Develop ideas for your paper
- Organize your paper
- Understand basic grammar and punctuation
- Find sources for your paper
- Format citations appropriately
- Learn editing and proofreading strategies
- Address specific concerns based on your or your instructor's request
When you come in, please bring one or more of the following:
- The written assignment (topic, requirements, length, etc.)
- A draft in progress
- Any previous essays with your instructor's comments
Remember the following tips when coming in:
- Be sure to leave enough time for your appointment (at least 20 minutes)
- Be prepared to explain your or your instructor's particular concerns about the paper
Writing tutors are available at the following times at the Learning Center.
Monday: 11:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Tuesday: 12:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Wednesday: 10:00* a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
Thursday: 12:30 p.m. - 2:30 p.m.
*Wednesday at 10:00 - 11:00 a.m.: ESL instructor/tutor team at the TLC
Writing Tutor Hours:
Monday: 9:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
Tuesday: 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Wednesday: 9:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
Thursday: 9 a.m. - 3 p.m.
Friday: By appointment! Please email email@example.com to make an appointment.
Online Writing Lab
The Online Writing Lab (OWL) affords students the opportunity to email drafts of their writing to the OWL staff and receive feedback from a peer writing tutor.
We help you:
Solve problems and find answers in a variety of math courses
Develop strategies for taking math exams
There are peer tutors and instructors available at the following times in the Learning Center.
- Monday: 10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
- Tuesday: 10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
- Wednesday: 10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
- Thursday: 10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
- Friday: 10:00 a.m. - 12 noon
If there is no one available in The Learning Center, look in Room 217 and ask for Scott.
The following resources may be helpful.
If you need tutoring help in another subject area, please contact the following individuals:
Department of Mathematics
Math Tutorial Coordinator
Ritzinger Hall, Room 217
715-234-8176 Ext. 5429
Writing Tutorial Coordinator
English as a Second Language Specialist
Meggers Hall, Room 118
715-234-8176 Ext. 5480
Learning Resource Tools
- Desire2Learn: The course management system for UW Colleges.
- OWL (Online Writing Lab): Affords UW Colleges students the opportunity to email drafts of their writing to the OWL staff and receive feedback from a peer writing tutor.are Catalog (WISC):Save up to 90% off retail prices on a variety of computer software packages.
- Higher Education Location Program (HELP): Provides information concerning admissions, majors and programs, careers, and other information for students, parents, and counselors.
Academic Success Program
The Academic Success Program works with students to help them achieve academic success and identify areas that are preventing them from achieving their academic goals at UW-Barron County.
Student Services works with students to provide them with the skills needed to be successful college students and establish short- and long-term goals to plan for their academic success. These skills (e.g., time management, study strategies, stress management) are received through a variety of workshops and/or through individual appointments.
If you would like help with developing study strategies and/or a plan for academic success, you can contact:
Academic Success Program Coordinator
Room 104 Meggers Hlal
234-8176 ext. 5432